Saturday, May 23, 2015

water color on silk and paper

This is the experiment piece the first is watercolor on silk, the second is watercolor on paper, using the same image for both. If I decide to frame either piece, they will have to be under glass, the silk will have to be mounted on a board first, my preference is the silk piece for its depth of color, it just looks richer. The silk I use is habotai or China silk which is a very smooth surface to paint on. I also sprayed it first with magic sizing to help control the absorbancy of the color. The magic sizing allows more time for manipulation of the paint in the surface before it sinks into the silk. 
My consensus is that watercolor paint on silk grounds works well. I've learned that this method is actually an ancient chinese technique, watercolor or silk, since silk was available before paper was. At any rate this experiment blends two on my favorite mediums, water color painting and silk painting. I'll do it again, use watercolor paints on silk, that is. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment